Before you begin planning your honeymoon, take a look at our tips for traveling cheap.
Photography by Jim Kennedy Photographers via GetMarried.com
1. Start researching your honeymoon trip 9-12 months ahead of time. Go ahead and make a purchase if you find a great deal, but many travel agents recommend really looking at prices about two months in advance. Check prices every day or two. When the price drops to a reasonable amount, go for it.
2. Always shop around! Check prices with two or three different travel agents or travel websites.
3. Ask your travel agent about off-season rates. Many popular destinations are much cheaper right after peak-season. Plus, you’ll avoid the crowds and still enjoy good weather.
4. Check out your credit card’s travel benefits, or shop around for other credit cards that have better benefits. (Psst…use credit cards on vacations rather than check cards. They offer more security and are much easier to deal with in cases of theft or wrongful charges).
5. Join the frequent flyer club even if you don’t fly much. It doesn’t cost anything to join and you may eventually see some benefits.
6. Stay over a Saturday night for lowest air fairs and hotel rates.
7. Deciding between driving and flying? Check out www.costtodrive.com to see which is the better deal. (Hey…also check the Amtrak. Amtrak offers cross-country and regional train packages.)
8. Check if you receive discounts at certain airlines or hotels through your employer. If you’re an AAA member or a member of an alumni association, take advantage of those discounts as well.
9. Announce to the world you’re honeymooners! You may just get special treatment such as discounts or upgrades (you deserve it!).
10. Avoid hotel restaurants. They’re expensive. Also, stock your own mini bar. Hotels charge large fees for mini bar items such as alcohol and snacks.